A White Roof is Green!
Because white roofs reflect far more of the sun’s heat than black ones, buildings with white roofs will stay cooler. If the building is air conditioned, less air conditioning will be required, thus saving energy.
Even if there is no air conditioning, the heat absorbed by a black roof both heats the space below, making the space less comfortable, and is also carried into the city air by wind—raising the ambient temperature in what is known as the urban heat island effect.
Additionally, there’s a third, less familiar way in which a black roof heats the world: it radiates energy directly into the atmosphere, which is then absorbed by the nearest clouds and ends up trapped by the greenhouse effect, contributing to global warming.
Take a look at this report from CBS 42 Austin local news about White Roofs.
This diagram shows how the concept works.
NEOGARD fluid-applied roof systems provide benefits demanded by today’s educated building owner including; documented high-performance, durability, 100% sustainability, low maintenance, cost efficiency and reflectivity.
Superior resistance to impact and fire, mildew resistance, flexibility, adhesion, and ease of application make Elasta-Gard Roof Systems an excellent protective elastomeric barrier for extending the life of most roofing substrates.
- Reflects up to 85% of the sun’s rays.
- Reduces interior temperature
- Monolithic, fluid-applied with no seams or fasteners
- Fully sustainable – 5 and 10 year renewable warranties
- Apply to virtually any roof substrate
- ASTM E108/UL 790 Class A approved systems
- Reduces “Heat Island” effect
- Classified as a cool construction material
- ENERGY STAR®, LEED, CRRC, Miami – Dade County approved and/or certified
Two Buffalo Construction Supply will get you what you need and arrange for delivery!
▼ Specifications (PDF)